Hailey’s First (and hopefully last) ER Visit

Okay, I wrote my last post on November 22.  At that time, I was really starting to feel better and thought I would be back to my normal number of blog posts.  Well…

Although I was feeling better, I was afraid to be out in the cold for a long period of time so we had to skip the parade on Sunday (the 23rd).  We didn’t want to miss out on everything so we met Lindsay at the tree lighting at Depot Park.  Hailey found some friends and they did what all the little children do while at Depot Park – they ran all over the place.  Santa was awesome but the tree leaves something to be desired.  I really wish we could get a REAL Christmas tree at Depot Park one of these years.  We left as soon as Santa used his magic to light the tree (of course Hailey announced that it wasn’t magic, it was a cord).  We wanted to have hot chocolate and dinner at Java Express but they were closing so we went to the Dairy Bar.  Dinner was great and Hailey ate her entire dinner.  The girls were not about to forget the promise of hot chocolate so Ed made them hot chocolate when we got home and they each got a cookie.

Hailey did not finish her hot chocolate or her cookie.  Our kids don’t get a whole lot of sugar or desserts so it is really a treat when they do get something.  It was very unusual for Hailey not to finish her treat.  She started complaining that her stomach hurt and her pain kept getting increasingly worse.  At one point she said she wanted to throw up but could not walk to the bathroom because she was in so much pain.  I felt her forehead and she was burning up – her fever was 103.4.  She was shaking and shivering and said it hurt to breathe.  She would fall asleep for a few minutes and then would wake up crying.  I called our Pediatrician’s nurse line but before they could even call back, we made the decision to take her to the ER. 

I am so thankful to have a friend like Lindsay – a quick call to her and less than 20 minutes, we were dropping Leah off at her house for the night (as a side note, Leah talked to her until after 11.  She said Hailey should get sick again so she could come back.  She was SO excited to be spending the night with Lindsay and Ross!)

We have had (and have heard about) too many bad experiences at the CCH ER so we drove to Wake Med in Cary.  The ER was PACKED.  The receptionist said she had seen mostly kids that night.  We had given Hailey tylenol at home but in triage an hour later, her fever was still 103.3.  The nurse gave her Motrin to try and get her fever down.

By the time Hailey’s name was called, we had started to debate whether to just go home.  She seemed to be feeling a lot better after having the Motrin.  Ultimately, we decided that it wasn’t normal for her to have such sudden symptoms and we didn’t want to get home and have the Motrin wear off and have her be right back to the way she was.   As we waited for the doctor, we commented that although we obviously did not want her to be sick, we were glad she still had a high fever while in triage because if the nurse had seen the child that was bouncing around on her hospital bed watching the Disney Channel, they would have told us to go home.

The doctor suspected several things, including strep and mono.  She ordered all kinds of tests.  The worst for Hailey was the fact that they left the needle in her arm in case they needed to take more blood later or in case they needed to give her medicine. 

By the time they came to get Hailey for her x-ray, she was starting to feel worse again.  I went with her to the x-ray room and this was the only bright spot of this whole experience.  The technician positioned Hailey in front of the x-ray and walked past me on the way to their little alcove.  I was sitting on Hailey’s hospital bed and as she walked past me, the technician asked me if there was any chance I could be pregnant.  It was after 3 in the morning and I was too tired to even speak so I just shook my head.  Hailey was a little shocked by the question and exclaimed, “I’m only six!”  I fell over on the bed I was laughing so hard.  I felt so bad because Hailey was so mad that I laughed.  Hailey HATES for you to laugh at her.  She had to have multiple x-rays and all throughout our time in that room, I kept breaking out in giggles and she kept telling me to stop. 

At some point while we were in the x-ray room, Hailey’s drugs completely wore off.  She was very quiet and shaking and shivering again (I’m sure it didn’t help that she was on a cold metal table).  The kind technician gave her a warmed blanket and by the time she was wheeled back to the room, she was asleep.  We paged a nurse for more drugs and they came in to take her temperature – it was back to 103.4. 

The final diagnosis was pneumonia and severe constipation.  It amazed me that she could go from being happy and running around to being in the ER in just a span of a few hours.

There are of course even more tedious details, but I will just say that we were there for six hours and we were very happy to go home.  The staff was wonderful (Hailey’s nurse actually lives in Sanford!).  The nurse offered Hailey a doll as we were leaving and Hailey declined saying that we had way too many dolls at home already.  It was nice to have some of her spunk back!

Hailey is fine now and we are hoping that December will be a healthier month for the Page household!

PS to Trina – I made my promised deadline by 7 minutes!

About emilypage

I have been married to my husband, Ed since 1998. We have two daughters, Hailey (9) and Leah (6). I have been the Director of Easter Seals UCP Stepping Stones Children's Center in Sanford since 2004. I am an Independent Senior Director for Thirty-One and I absolutely LOVE it! I was raised as a Wolfpacker but saw the light and now I bleed Carolina blue (sorry, dad).
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Hailey’s First (and hopefully last) ER Visit

  1. kiminsanford says:

    WOW – when it rains, it pours…..sorry to hear Hailey had to go through such an ordeal and hope she (and all of you) is doing better!

    BTW – Ronald’s wife, Lisa, is a nurse at Wake Med – she works the night shift, but I don’t think she works in the ER. Wouldn’t it be a hoot if she had been your nurse and not only had the Sanford link to you, but also was a friend of a friend? Small world….

  2. emilypage says:

    Thanks, Kim – we are all much better and hoping to stay that way! EVERYONE was so friendly and upbeat – please tell Lisa to pass that on to the weekend night shift! We really appreciated the care that Hailey received. When I had to go to CCH the other day for my x-rays, not a single person I encountered was friendly and the x-ray tech mumbled, acted like he did not know what he was doing, and made me very uncomfortable.

    BTW, once again, we are up WAY too late!

  3. Trina says:

    Hip Hip Hoorah! I am so glad that Hailey is better; she certainly was a trooper. I am proud of you for making your deadline; I was anticipating your blog on my way to work!

  4. Melissa W says:

    Poor Hailey! I’ve lost count of the number of ER visits we’ve made with the kids. Jackson hates to be laughed at, too…but sometimes I just can’t help it!

    Hope everyone at your house is feeling better. We’ve got something going through ours, now. I hope the entire winter isn’t like this!

  5. your far away sister says:

    Oh, how I am laughing too about the pregnancy comment. I can just visulize the whole scene and it is just too funny. Hailey cracks me up.

    Glad everyone is feeling better.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s